I recently read an article about the benefits of dance, people who dance together regularly are less likely to have dementia in the later years one study suggests. There are so many positive outcomes for those of us that get on the dance floor.
Health benefits of dancing
Dancing can be a way to stay healthy for people of all ages, shapes and sizes. It has a wide range of physical and mental benefits including:
- improved condition of your heart and lungs
- increased muscular strength, endurance and motor fitness
- increased aerobic fitness
- improved muscle tone and strength
- weight management
- stronger bones and reduced risk of osteoporosis
- better coordination, agility and flexibility
- improved balance and spatial awareness
- increased physical confidence
- improved mental functioning
- improved general and psychological wellbeing
- greater self-confidence and self-esteem
- better social skills.
With so many positive outcomes, I wonder why we would avoid getting to a local event and dancing our socks off. I know for me that when I dance, I forget everything, my body takes its own route and as I know my body never lies, it is a speaker of truth, so whether I am feeling sad, alone, angry, stressed, happy or creative my body will bring forwards its own movements to release any emotions I have been ignoring. Better out than in..
Finding the courage to start your dance journey takes one step, but truly if we plunge in we will quickly see the benefits. so if you do nothing else this autumn, I hope you DANCE.